Acciona is one of the main Spanish business groups, a leader in the promotion and management of infrastructures, renewable energies, water and services, among others. The group, which is part of the Ibex35, has a workforce of more than 30,000 employees located on 5 continents and organized into various Divisions and Business Lines.
In 2019, Acciona opens a bidding process for the Corporate Project Office Service (PMO) with the aim of seeking greater efficiency in all its processes (demand management, project management, program management, portfolio management, financial management) to respond to the group's IT needs, as well as interdepartmental, cross and / or common solutions and initiatives to the different Divisions, Businesses and Geographies of the Acciona group.
Based on Business Lines, and with the aim of gaining efficiency and agility in the response that, globally from IT, was offered to Businesses, Acciona wanted to focus on improving the following points:
- Detection of synergies in the IT Needs of the different Businesses and increased communication throughout the IT Community.
- Identification of transversal projects, as well as the need and availability of shared strategic resources (architecture, corporate applications, cybersecurity, etc.)
- Homogenization of the processes, methodological frameworks and tools used in the different Business Lines.
Defining and implement a common framework of IT processes
Managing change ensuring the real adoption of processes in the Organization
Facilitating and guarantee IT and Business communication
Performing a homogeneous monitoring of the portfolio of projects and programs
From Izertis, the implementation of a Project Office (PMO) was proposed, where, with the commitment and involvement of all the actors involved and, applying a participatory strategy of 360º change management, it would be possible to provide resources and services that give support and guarantee the correct implementation of a common framework of IT processes that serve as the basis for achieving global management and a consolidated vision of the IT Projects of the Acciona group.
To achieve this objective, four main lines of service were proposed:
- Definition and implementation of processes (demand management, project management, program management, portfolio management, financial management) with a focus on the adoption and accompaniment of the main roles that participate in the processes.
- Project management: applying our motto to transform while we manage.
- Reporting focused on monitoring the status of ICT demands and projects for each Business Unit and Acciona Corporation.
- Creation of dashboards that consolidate the main KPIs necessary to facilitate decision-making.
A phased approach was chosen in which, after the adoption of the demand management and project management processes for Corporate ICT (“Early Adopters”), a roadmap was established for the deployment of the implementation and adoption of these processes in the different Divisions and countries of the group. In this phase, the focus was placed on managing change, supporting and accompanying all the key roles involved in the processes.
Subsequently, the service focused on demand governance and End-2-End project management. The design of the collaboration portal made it possible to improve knowledge management, information visibility and cross-team work. To complete the management support, a battery of demand and project dashboards was designed.
After the stabilization period, a focus was placed on a more strategic level through collaboration in the definition of a governance model and monitoring of the annual IT plans, for all Business Units and countries, so that, through the periodic monitoring of them, it contributes to improving capacity management and global IT demand.
The main achievements obtained after these two years of service from the project office at Acciona have been:
- Become a reference body in the different Business Units at the national and international level for the support of the implemented processes and tools, although in this first phase of adoption it has focused more on the implementation and learning (adaptations of the process and tool, training, refreshment sessions, accompaniments based on the use of the tool, quality measurement ...).
- Contribute to the success of the Acciona IT Plan in its support service for the management of demands, projects and programs, helping to ensure that their execution is carried out according to the established deadlines, costs and scope and accomplishing with the expectations of the Business Partners of the different Business Units.
- Homogenize and improve the efficiency of IT processes, providing support to the Business Units and Acciona Corporation.
- Define the relationship model between the different Organizational Units.
- Implement a 360º change management process that includes, among other activities, education and training, as well as periodic communication for the adoption of the processes.
- Design monitoring reports and dashboards, including that of the CIO.
- Establish a periodic process of coaching and supporting demand managers and project managers in their management.
- Design a collaboration space that serves as a lever for communication, adoption of processes and improvement of the efficiency of IT teams.
- Establish the management process for the PPM tool, including requests and incidents.
- Develop annual project plans for all Business Units in the form of project lines and implement the governance and monitoring model aligned with the annual budget management.