Challenges on tourism sector. How to satisfy the new digital client?
Tourism is the main motor of the Spanish economy and, therefore, the professional sector that provides the greatest benefits to our country.
In fact, in recent years the number of foreign visitors has doubled the number of inhabitants, reaching over 80 million people, an expenditure of 90.000 million euros and has even reached 10% of GDP.
Undoubtedly, these are record figures that oblige the sector to be up to date with the latest technological trends, to renew formulas and strategies, not only to maintain the quality and current occupation figures but to go much further, anticipating as much as possible the demands and needs of the new digital traveller.
But what are the characteristics and demands required by the new tourist? What are the technological innovations that the sector needs to implement to offer greater competitive advantages and to attract more clients?
Next, do not miss some of the keys that define the behaviour of the digital traveller and take good note of the disruptive technological bets that your company should not do without, if you want to become the spearhead of your sector and join the digital future.
¿How is it and what does the new digital tourist look for?
Taking into account the great influence and power that technology has today, added to the strong environmental commitment that prevails in the market, it requires a U-turn for the traditional tourism model to offer a more sustainable, smart, personalized, accessible and flexible one, able to attract and retain the new digital customer, but how is the profile of the traveller of today?
First of all it is a restless consumer who seeks unique experiences adapted to his tastes and who requires immediacy when it comes to accessing the information he needs. These are some of the most valued points of a tourism company:
- Agile management tools. Especially in those applications that offer speed and efficiency when making online reservations and when accessing hotel administrative services. To achieve this, it is essential to opt for a solution in the cloud with the ability to integrate with other external applications, such as, for example, the websites of wholesalers or tourist portals.
- Multi-channel options to be more and better informed. The new digital tourist is a much more informed person. He searches all type of information and opinions on websites, forums, blogs, RRSS, about the destination of his vacations, hotels, restaurants, etc. and he does so through multiple channels and devices before making a decision.
- Good communication in social networks. Social networks are a basic pillar for new generations and therefore the very important mean to carry out successful marketing campaigns that achieve the desired effect and impact. The fundamental reason is that the leisure user, not only consumes tourism but also produces valuable information, writing comments and making assessments about their experiences and about the services received in social networks. These opinions will be consulted and taken into account by future clients, being then essential to take care of online communication.
- IoT and mobile Apps to stay hyper connected. The smartphone and the various applications are the main means of access to internet today, both to plan vacations, to book flights, to do check-in at hotels, using applications to locate sites of interest, to be guided in the route, to manage incidents or to reflect the opinion of their experience on their social profiles. Nowadays, we do not understand a concept of tourism that does not adapt to the hyperconnected client profile, without offering automated devices and services that improve his experience through the IoT.
- Client service 24/7. The chatbot and the artificial intelligence, not only allow to offer the client a continuous and immediate attention and resolution of problems. But also, it is foreseen that the automation of services is the future trend of the new model of tourism.
- More transparent and secure online identification and payment systems.The implementation of technologies such as blockchain are gaining weight. In fact, it is believed that in the near future it will be extremely useful for the identification of travellers at the airport, to ensure transparency in the opinion of tourists or to access to easy and safe payments. Currently, it is used more and more in hotels to manage claims or other services through smart contracts.
- Customized experiences. The data is a fundamental factor when it comes to knowing the tastes of our client and his actions. To analyse users’ conversations about your service or brand in social networks, together with the digital trail of their purchases on the internet, the areas where they stay, duration of their stay, etc., allows a predictive analysis of their behaviour and elaborate an exact profile of him. An essential element to create valued offers customized and adapted to his needs.
- Appeal to emotions to personalize your experience. Digital clients are primarily emotional consumers who decide according to their previous life experiences. Which means that the purchasing decisions we usually make are related to the feeling or emotion that a service or product produces us. It is something unconscious. Therefore, taking into account the client experience is essential when formulating effective commercial strategies. Once again, the correct analysis of data through tools and algorithms of advanced and predictive analytics is everything.
- Unique and immersive experiences. The tourist is growing increasingly demanding and he travels a lot. For that reason, he does not want to consume the usual but he wants to find new and more personalized incentives, in short, that surprise him. Virtual and augmented reality technologies are services that are increasingly used in museums, hotels and restaurants to live an unforgettable experience. It will be an upward resource in travel agencies and tour operators, since it allows to teleport the client to their future destination or to the room of his hotel before making a decision.
- Tools and applications to access to shared resources. Services such as Uber, Blablacar, and operators such as Airbnb are essential today to understand and to improve the digital customer experience. Its strategies and functionalities must become a reference for learning and decision making for companies of the tourism sector.
The interaction with the user is therefore an increasingly important factor for the tourism sector as are innovation and the implementation of technological tools when extracting useful and valuable information that allows us to know the opinions, tastes and purchasing trends of our clients. The objective: to offer personalized, interactive and unforgettable experiences for them.
Is your tourism business prepared to meet the demands of the digital client? Have you not yet started your company in a process of digital transformation? Are you interested in offering innovative and technologically advanced services to capture the interest of your clients?