The importance of a good taking Requirements
The success of a project lies, among other things, in the correct identification of requirements to identify the specific needs of the client. However, we should not just stop at the initial identification step. In this article we will see the keys to the correct management of requirements and all the activities that this management process includes.
But, first of all, what do we understand by requirement? A requirement is a condition, functionality or capacity that a product or service must have to satisfy a customer need. In other words, they are the keys that will guide us towards the correct execution and success of the project that we are dealing with.
7 Key Success Factors in Requirements Management
As an essential element to guarantee the success of a project, the requirements must be identified and managed throughout its entire life cycle. We identify seven key factors for requirements management:
- Prioritize requirements: after compiling the entire list of wishes that those interested in the project identify, it will be necessary to prioritize them, starting from those that are crucial for the success of the project and, therefore, they definitely should be implemented (must have) to which, if not executed, will not generate a significant impact on the final product (nice to have).
- Establish the baseline of requirements: the list of prioritized requirements is the starting document (baseline) of the required functionalities; It must, therefore, be considered contractual with the Project Sponsor, who will have to approve them.
- Communicate the requirements: the requirements of a project should be shared with all the stakeholders of the project. It is an essential document that must be archived in the project's document manager, so that it can be easily consulted at any time.
- Manage changes: the list of prioritized requirements validated by the project Sponsor (baseline) may undergo changes throughout the life of the project, so that any modification in it will necessarily require an evaluation (to understand its impact) and an acceptance by the Sponsor. Acceptance of that change will necessarily generate a new baseline for the scope of the project.
- Use techniques that allow us to identify, manage and evolve the requirements: developing and implementing different techniques that allow us to manage end-2-end requirements. Some of the main ones are detailed below.
- Maintain traceability of requirements: the identification of requirements by itself does not guarantee the achievement of the actions aimed at the implementation of the required functionalities; control and follow-up work must be carried out to ensure the success of the implementation.
- Establish a requirements improvement plan: to meet current and future needs more efficiently and with higher quality.
The main techniques for taking requirements are:
In summary, the purpose of taking requirements is to achieve a sufficient level of knowledge about the needs of the business and interested parties in a project, which allows reaching the design phase of the same with the guarantees that all the specific customer needs requirements have been captured. Proper requirements management is a fundamental process that should not be taken lightly and should include all its phases: identification, description, analysis and negotiation, specification, validation, change management, maintenance and traceability.